Friday, July 11, 2008

Grandpa update, preview of NL action this weekend

First off, Grandpa's prognosis was not very good: the doctor, who would not have bothered with the surgery if he didn't think he could do anything, ended up not being able to do much at all. The tumor is cancerous, and there was too much of it to be able to do anything surgically. What he did will allow Grandpa to not get jaundiced and be able to eat comfortably for a little while.

Next up is a visit with the oncologist, and a likely recommendation of a combination chemo/radiation treatment. The surgeon said this is most likely, and will in most case allow grandpa a few more years of fine, comfortable living.

He's still recouping, and was able to get up and walk around a bit yesterday. Likely will go home Monday or Tuesday, and begin chemo / radiation in about a month, once he's healed up a little from surgery.

Not the greatest news, that's for sure. Being that he's 82, though, the ability to likely get a few more comfortable years is not a bad thing.


I'm looking forward to some more NL fun Saturday. I want to take a shot at $3/5 soon, but I don't think this weekend is it. Maybe, we'll see - I'll make that call Saturday.

My goals this session are (besides great decision making): pot control, and value betting. I've been missing some value bets with winning hands, and I'd like to be able to get more out of them.

And I've gotten better about keeping pot sizes reasonable when holding good, but not great hands. This one is tough for me, though, because some of the typical Tulalip play is so bad I want to get as much as I can out of the hands; OTOH sometimes it's not necessary to bloat the pot with vulnerable holdings.

No comments: