Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Getting - and using - information

Tulalip $1/$3

ME: UTG+1; $700. I've been nicknamed "Table Captain" now by more than one opponent. I don't think it's meant as a compliment, but it's leaning towards true: I am the guy driving the action; I'm giving a lot of action, I'm getting a lot of action; I'm raising a lot. It's easy to do at a loose/passive table.

Button: $300. Typical player: passive, bets when he has it, checks when he doesn't.

I'm dealt 2 black aces, and make my standard raise to $12. This has been my opening raise with no limpers all night, no matter what my position or what I'm raising with. Folds to button who calls (surprising that no one else calls at such a passive table); blinds fold.

Pot: $28
FLOP: Ks Kh Kd

What an interesting flop. This is a way ahead / way behind (WA/WB) situation: either he's got any pair/combination of cards with no K and I'm so far ahead it isn't funny, or he's got some Kx combination and I'm crushed.

I can't check here; I lead out for $20. Button calls.


Pot: $68
TURN: [Ks Kh Kd] 2c

I have no clue where I'm at... again WA/WB. I decide to check for pot control. Button checks behind. Is he slow playing? I really don't know. I do know, however, that I don't want to play a big pot here if I can help it.


Pot: $68
RIVER: [Ks Kh Kd 2c] Ts

I can't check here, because almost any full house is paying me off. If I bet and he pushes, I figure I can safely fold.

I bet $50. Button insta-pushes, and I feel kind of sick. I look at him, and say "This is just sick," then I turn my hand over. I didn't muck yet, I just turned it over to get his reaction. Yes, this is perfectly legitimate for cash games - though you may want to verify in your specific card room before trying this.

So after I turn my hand over, the button looks at my cards and says "Oh, you're good." He looked so instantly dejected that, if this is an act trying to get me to call, he deserves to be paid off.

So even though I had planned on folding to a push, I have to go with my read here. I put my chips into the pot, he turns over ATo; I show my aces and rake in a big pot on an oddly scary board.


Morals of the story:
1) Use whatever information you get, from whatever - legitimate - technique you can use. I was willing to fold here: I only had $80 invested, and it was another $220 or so to call. This would often be an easy fold, getting about 1.5:1 here with the small full against a player who never bluffs in this spot: he truly believed he had the best hand; AND

2) If your opponent turns over their cards, don't talk, don't flinch, don't move, don't do anything. If he hadn't looked obviously dejected, let alone saying aloud "You're good," I would have easily folded, and he would have won the hand.

1 comment:

RaisingCayne said...

Yeah, I think verbally telling someone that their hand is good is sort of a "tell."

That's one thing I've noticed at some local card rooms, is some people treat 'em like their local pettty stakes home game and are overly affable in many spots.