Monday, September 15, 2008

Don't forget who you're playing against

Villain: $250. Been at the table about 30 minutes; don't think she's folded a hand preflop yet. She appears to be not very experienced (bet sizes, chip/card handling, general demeanor, etc), very very passive.

MP: $350. Very, very aggressive. Usually a $3/$5 player.

Hero: $700. Typical playing for me (LAG). Not happy MP is here, but happy Villain (and her friend) is.

MP raises to $10. Hero calls with 2c 2s. Villain calls.

POT: $30
FLOP: 256 rainbow.

Villain bets $15. MP raises to $40. I think about raising, but I want Villain to come in, so I just call. Villain calls.


POT: $150
TURN: [256] 9

Villain bets $40. MP folds. I push. Villain thinks for a half a minute, then calls.


POT: $550
River: [2569] J

Hero shows a set of 2's. Villain shows a set of 6's.

I've rarely folded sets on rainbow boards. There is a possible straight, sure, but I really don't think she's leading out on a draw. The more I think about this, though, the more obvious this should have been that I was way behind. It was obvious to the entire table just how aggressive MP is, and she wasn't the least bit afraid to bet right into him twice...I don't see what else this besides 55 or 66. Slight possibility of an over-pair, but I could only see this being AA with her leading out twice (especially twice into a raiser and a caller).

If I had stopped and taken a minute or two to replay the hand, to figure out what she would lead out into two aggressive players, I would have pinpointed that hand to 55 or 66, and saved myself some money. Instead, because I had seen her show QQ after leading into a rag flop, I simply assumed that must be what it was again.

No comments: