Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Raising for a free card

Some of this stuff may be 100% standard, 'everyone knows this sort of thing' strategy. I feel like my poker game has just taken some big strides forward, and a lot has to do with implementing specific techniques at the table. Some I found by trial / error, some I've picked up from watching Live at the Bike, some who knows...

Here's one I heard talked about on LATB, and subsequently put to good use in my game:

If I have an open ended straight draw or a duble-gut-shot on the flop, I have 8 outs. Using the rule of 4, I have about a 32% chance of hitting my hand by the river. However, that's only when I get to see both the turn and the river. Often, however, if an early position player bets the flop, and you raise in position, if EP calls, he'll often check the turn to you, fearing you will raise again if he bets.

Example: from this weekend's $1/$3 action:

MP raises to $10, I call OTB with J8o

FLOP: 69T rainbow.

MP bets $15.

Here, any 7 or any Q gives me a straight. I want to get to the river, but don't want to call a big turn bet. I raise to $45. MP pauses, then calls. He's likely got overs (AK/AQ) or a meduim-strength pair.

TURN: [69T] 4

MP checks. I'm more than happy to take a free card, so I check behind.

RIVER: [69T4] Q

MP bets $40, I raise to $100. MP calls.

MP shows QT for a rivered 2-pair; I show my straight.

Raising in position like this is a great way to often get your opponent to check the next street. Raise the flop, oponent checks the turn = free river; raise the turn, opponent checks the river = free showdown.

No comments: