Sunday, June 8, 2008

Can you get away from this?

Tulalip $1/$2. Pretty standard; there's really only two of us who are doing much 'playing' while it seems other 4 are only playing their cards. I've got about $260, cut off has over $300. He seems to be a pretty standard tight/passive player.

5 limpers to me in the big blind. I look down at KK, and say "Put ten more dollars in everyone," and raise to $12. 4 callers.

Pot: $48

FLOP:
Kh 7s Th

SB checks. I bet $50. Folds to SB who calls.

TURN:
[Kh 7s Th] 8d

SB checks. I've got a weird stack size now: pot is ~$150, and I've got $200. I'm putting the guy on a flush draw, but I can't just bet the pot here, and 1/2 pot bet would leave me with barely a barrel on the river, so I figure my best move is all in here: the pot is big enough to take down now, and if he wants to chase a heart then he's paying a horrible price for it.

I say I'm all in, and SB insta-calls. I turn over top set, and he turns over J9o for a turned straight.

River is a meaningless Q (just gives him an even bigger straight).

Can I get away from this hand? I can't check-raise the flop with 2 hearts out there, can I? Do I under-bet the pot? Do I massively over-bet the pot to make most any draw not worth it to call?

2 comments:

Riggstad said...

you are never getting away from that hand in that scenario ever

He got lucky as well and thats that

OhCaptain said...

Without knowing the range of the eventual winner, its hard to put him on J9o. But Riggs is right, he hit a 4 outer. That does happen.