Thursday, June 5, 2008

Dreaming of Vegas

Every day for the past week and a half, I've taken about 1/2 my lunch hour (actually my lunch half-hour, but whatever) and scoured expedia.com, travelocity.com, lastminute.com, cheaptickets.com, cheapair.com, kayak.com - and probably some others - for airfare / hotel deals in Vegas.

Funny because I'm not interested in playing a WS0P event (scratch that: I'd play if I had the dough, I just don't have $1500 to plunk down on a tournament, esp. with the lack of tournament experience I have over the past year), I just want action. I want to spend a couple days sleeping as little as possible, parked at a juicy (but admittedly low stakes) poker table for as many hours as I can stand, taking an occasional break to bake in the desert sun, and maybe even catch one of the overpriced shows going on there (Ka would most likely be the show).

I just want to be around action. Memorial day weekend was almost like this at Tulalip for me: due to the huge bad beat jackpot that was going on, there were a slew of action junkies playing all limits throughout the weekend in hopes of hitting it. Some of the juiciest games I've seen up this way in a long time. I put in two long sessions (12+ hrs Sat-Sun and 18+hrs Sun-Mon). It was beautifully exhausting, and wonderfully exhilarating.

I have such fond memories of Caesar’s Palace $1/$3 game: was playing more like a $2/$5 game but with mostly players worse than me. Or the Venetian $1/$2 game, which was even more passive than Tulalip games (hard to believe!)...

And of course I'd love to wander through the Rio and see the round-the-clock degeneracy going on.

I really wish I'd been more mindful of my bankroll: I've been using winnings to pay for stuff (classes, contacts, new shoes, concert tickets...), that I really haven't grown my 'roll into anything significant. I play on a very short bankroll according to most 'expert opinions,' which means that 3 or 4 really bad sessions could make it vanish.

If I hadn't spent so much of my roll on stuff I'd have a little extra to spend on travel to Vegas and have a good chunk left for aggressive poker playing.

We'll see after this weekend: if I end up with a killer session Saturday night, I'll contemplate heading down the following Sat-Mon for a long weekend...

No comments: