Thursday, August 16, 2007

TSA looking for tells?

Reading drudgereport.com today, I came across this article, which in a nutshell says that this company called The Ekman Group has been training TSA screeners to look for what researchers call 'micro-expressions.' They claim that they have caught some drug smugglers, and questioned some potential terrorists.

From what I read, it sounds like they teach these workers how to detect very very very minor and momentary changes in facial expressions and body language that even the best-of-con men would have trouble supressing. When someone is lying, so the research goes, you can often get a mili-second glimpse of that lie, a very slight change of expression (often to fear if lying). I'm sure the research is detailed, but the little bit I read sounds like something plausible.

Talented professional actors are masters at this without even realizing it. They are so able to get inside this character and this world that when a "micro-expression' comes out, it's "in character." I remember watching an episode of Lost, when Sayid said something that later on turned out to be a bold-faced lie, but I knew it -- knew it -- at the time. Wasn't a tone of voice, wasn't a necessary plot device, and I don't believe it was a guess. I believe there was a micro-expression of fear from his character.....

And of course, I believe it's obvious how this could fit into poker. Why do so many top pros feel they rely heavily on tells? Why is it that almost none can really clearly describe what these "tells" are? How is it that Doyle can look at a guy and know (often enough at least) whether the guy's bluffing or not? I believe it's probably these micro-expressions, things that happen so suddenly and so fleetingly that they don't consciously know why the all the sudden realized the guy is bluffing (or that he really has the goods).

Now, of course, this is far from fool-proof. Which I'd bet will lead the TSA into more than one lawsuit once someone is singled-out for special attention who feels indignant and has connections at the ACLU. BUT -- 1) while I hate the thought of further invasions by our government, I also believe that this type of survailance is justified and crucial; and 2) I wanna learn more about it!

I already went to the Ekman group's website and signed up for information on their seminars. I even found an interactive test that is supposedly along the lines of at least part of how they train people to notice micro expressions.

I'm also going to try to be hyper-aware in Vegas this weekend to see if I can't pick up any of these micro-expressions. Admittedly it will be easier to pick up during pots that I'm not involved in (I get such an adrenaline rush when I'm in a big pot that nuance is sometimes missed, a definite leak in my live-game), but I have some ideas that I think will help me stay calm under pressure at the tables so hopefully keen observation of my opponents in hands that I'm in and that I'm not will help me make good decisions.

This, of course, is the missing link when playing online. I'm a better player live than online (limit and NL), and I wonder if that's why. I'll be keenly observing myself this coming weekend, and hopefully taking detailed notes on my own feelings, actions, situations, reactions, etc, and go over them when I'm back home.

No comments: