Thursday, August 2, 2007

WANTED: tournament success

There's this one dude who seems to do quite well in large field tournaments (multiple top 10's & wins & top 3's in ftp's $28K among other things - check out his site, he's got pictures of the wins). I don't know the guy, but I'm so curious about his success. He obviously figured something out, and I want to also. I'm thinking maybe I'm too cautious, or too... I dunno... sometimes I just don't pull the trigger even when I 'm 95% sure someone's just makin' a move. I guess what I need to start doing is -- try it out. When it folds to the cut-off who raises in what's probably a steal attempt, I should try a squeeze from the blind (with something resembling a hand at least). I'm sure the more I try it, the more I'll start to see -- something. I don't know what, but I'm sure when I start putting myself in that position more often, even when I'm wrong and get felted, I'll get better at identifying what are good spots to try a squeeze/re-steal/etc...

After about a month and a half of playing hours everyday, I took the last couple days off. Was good, I think. I played a silly little turbo sit n go a little while ago, took 2nd (honestly, I blinded out 'till I was down to 1100 & 3 left; I made one raise that was shoved against, and then I doubled through a guy who probably pegged me (and rightly so by my actions) as very weak/tight when he shoved on the turn when I had rockets, and then some other dude busted out. I started heads-up with about 1200 chips; I steadily built that up to a high of 3100 at one point, and then I had terrible timing on one hand when the board paired and I shoved with 2nd pair, only to be shown a set of Kings. Oh, well.

Random fact: a teaspoon of water contains 120 drops (thanks Snapple!).

No comments: