Saturday, September 22, 2007

3,600 runners; 105th place


3hrs 45 minutes of work, and I barely profit. Cheap entertainment, I guess I can call it :)

This was the $0.10 guaranteed $1,000 rebuy tourny on tilt. $0 + $0.10 to get in; 1,000 chips, rebuys are $0.50 at 1,000 chips or less, one 1,500 chip add-on for $0.50.

I played it pretty aggressive in early rounds, and only had to do one full rebuy (well, I did the initial one from the get-go to start with 2k), and did the add-on, so it cost me $2.10 to play. I had to get to 135th place to break even, and I went out in 105th place. Out of 3600 runners, I'm happy! Deepest I've ever gone in this big a field. I didn't think I'd like the rebuy deal, but I used it to my advantage, taking some extra chances early on (especially when I was just under 2K about 5 minutes before the rebuy period was over, I re-raise shoved with J10 soooted, figuring if I get called & beat then I rebuy and have as many chips as I had. I performed a nice suckout and doubled through :)

Besides that hand, which didn't have my tourny life on the line, I sucked out only once: I limped UTG with 66; one limper, small blind raises in what I think is a squeeze play, I shove when bb folds, limper folds and sb calls:


"Thank you, RNG," I said after the hand.

...unfortunately 66 is the hand that did me in at the end. No, my decision on how to play the hand is what did me in at the end. I limped in late, bb checks, bb checks a Qc10cx flop, I fire 1/2 pot, calls. Turn 4h, bb checks... what do I do? STOOOPID me shoves. Was hoping a flush draw, but nope - just Q2. Top pair / no kicker, called 3/4 of his stack against my shove - and I'd been playing SUPER-DUPER tight. Oh, well. Should be more careful there -- small pre-flop raise and that pot was mine at the beginning; if he still called and called my c-bet, I'd re-evaluate on the turn, but I should probably fold to any action, as it is I have 66.

All-in all, though, I was very happy with my play. I made some positional steals; I made some steal re-raises when the flop c-bets seemed weak... happy. As it was when I won like $1.50 in the Ferguson, I'm now unsure whether I'll play this one again. It's good practice, though, for bigger games - and for me, good to see how I feel about rebuy tournaments (which I like really - I played this last weekend, and while I didn't cash, I really like the flexibility the rebuy-period can give you. Plus it's often obvious who's trying to not do any rebuys and cash from the bear minimum, so you can use that time to take advantage of those tight-nits.).

As I've been rather disinterested in playing online this whole past week, it was a good way to get back into the swing.

Maybe I'll try one of the rebuy sit and go's to the $750K tomorrow... I was planning on hitting the Tulalip tomorrow afternoon, but I'd bag that if I get into the Sunday Major. I'm going to re-evaluate the Tulalip-thing tomorrow and see how I feel about it.

No comments: