Saturday, September 29, 2007

Saturday Night Live

...well, not really live: the same "whatever" that pushed me to head to the Tulalip last weekend decidedly kept me at home tonight. At 8pm I had my jacket on, CDs in my pack, Flexcar reservation set up - just had to click "reserve." I got my cash from its 'spot,' and all the sudden had the same feeling that prompted me to leave the game last week: I can't call it 'nervous,' but... just something that told me I wasn't going to be playing at 100%. No matter, the Tulalip will be there next weekend too. I work on Saturday, so perhaps after work I'll head up there.... heck, I'm going to the symphony tomorrow afternoon, so better to be in bed early and well-rested so I don't doze off during one of the Rachmaninoff's.

Instead I dove into a $10+1 STT. I used to wile away many-an-hour at the $10+1 tables last spring and summer.... for some reason since moving out here, I've been playing teeny stakes instead. The odd thing is my bankroll is fatter now than it was a year ago when I was working retail, yet I still find myself playing $2.25 STT's.

Anyway, the results were good:


I played super-squeaky tight for most of it, changing gears to steal some blinds. Got more aggressive as we got shorter -- you know, the usual.

Two hands stick out for me: first one I just earned the damn pot. 3 handed, the button folds, and I have 43o. Powerhouse, I know. But this was the first time 3-handed the button folded, so my first "test" of how the dude plays in the BB. I raise 3x's bb, he calls. FLOP: Qd8d6s. I fired about 2/3 pot bet, he folds. Standard, I know, but it's nice to remind myself sometimes that I do know how to play aggressively while holding squadoosh.

2nd hand that stands out: I have AA in the SB. Button limps, I pop it to 4x's; BB folds, button calls. FLOP: A66 rainbow. Now, I flopped the nuts (well, 2nd nuts), and I wished I were in position on this one. The dude on the button LOVES to check-raise... LOVES it...matter of fact, I even got him to slow down on his check-raising by talking about it when I burned him on a hand. But I'm first to act, so I figure - if he likes to check-raise, I'll put in a small bet and hope he can raise me. I bet 1/4 pot. He folds. I was caught here -- I was trying to use his aggression against him by making a pitiful looking stab at the pot. Maybe therein lies my problem: maybe the pitifully small bet sounded alarm bells to him. Still, though, I guess I could've checked and hoped he caught up a bit on the turn. There are no cards that would scare me off on the turn or the river, so perhaps I should have slowed down.

There's another part of my game I need to work on: I rarely ever slow-play. Rarely. So rare in fact that when I do in a live game it's probably obvious due to physical manerisms. Not being used to slow-playing I'm sure I move and hold myself a little differently than normal. But online, too - I just don't have much practice trapping. I rarely ever do. And I think because of that I'm not as effective as I could be. It's a tool I just don't readily have at my disposal. I always think if I've got the strongest hand that I should get chips in there. Or maybe that's just my style. But in the hand I mentioned above, if he had caught up even a little on the turn, I know I could have gotten him to commit some chips.

Part of my decision to play the $10+1 tonight was inspired by this post by Katitude. Specifically, the part where she writes "stop treating it like a video game." I'm good at this poker-thing. Not great yet, but I'm pretty darn good most of the time; yet it's so easy for me to treat it like - well, like a video game I dumped a couple quarters into. I mean - the bigger tournaments I can focus in on well; however my sit n go playing is often unfocused and undisciplined. Tonight, I cleared off my desktop of all stray icons, turned off the music, closed the browsers, and focused. And it's amazing the little tendencies I noticed that I've been missing out on playing online.

Focus is good. Focus is +EV. +EV=better play; better play=$$; $$=$$$$.

I've read at least a couple blogs lately (including Katitude's, mentioned above) of people trying the Chris Ferguson challenge; and while I'm not formally following that particular challenge, I decided to mostly follow Chris's bankroll management suggestions. I'll be sticking to $10+1's until I can either "afford" $20+2 or unless I have to drop down to $5.50 again. Here's the gist of the bankroll management stuff:
- can buy into a cash game or sit n go for up to 5% of my bankroll (exception: can buy into any game $2.50 or less)
- if at any time during NL or PL cash game, the money on the table is more than 10% of my bankroll I have to leave when the blinds reach me
- can't buy into a MTT for more than 2% of my bankroll

My own tweak to this:
- I can buy into a MTT of any size by either earning the buy-in at a cash game or by a satellite. Satellite buy-in rules will follow the same rules as sit n go. At most, I will only attempt one $24+2 MTT per week, and will only give myself one shot to earn a token
- I can buy into a "special" MTT (blogger event, Riverchaser's event) by earning my buy-in through either a sit n go or cash game (my own "satellite" system)

1 comment:

Thomas Kennedy said...

Tight is right for the single table sit 'n go poker tournaments. Also, it is great to see that you have adopted bankroll management rules. They are critical to long-term success.