Friday, November 23, 2007

...and again...

$0.05 / 0.10, very first hand, I'm in the cut off and posted. Dealt 66; MP raises to 0.40, I (obviously) call. Again, I'm not folding a pocket pair here to any semi-standard raise: I flop a set and I'm probably stacking my opponent.

FLOP: 6s Qh 10c

Sweet.

MP bets pot, I call (not raising here: no reason to chase him away).

Turn: As

I don't like this, as KJ just hit a straight, so I'm not going to be raising. MP bets approx. 1/2 pot, I smooth call.

River: Ac.

Money card! MP checks. This surprised me; I wondered whether they just whiffed and gave up. I hoped they were going for a check-raise, so I made a bet that was a little less than what I'd put in as a value bet, and MP just called:


Kudos to chou13: tons of opponents go broke here; his check / call saved him money.


Next big hand: 4h 7h from SB. Suited, not quite connected - but with 4 limpers, I'm not folding for half a bet. BB checks, and 6 see the flop.

FLOP: 7d Ac 4c.

Flopped 2 pair, but 2 suited cards. I'd be happy to take this down here, so I bet the pot. Folds to JayDubious, who min-raises. OK, cool, they have an ace, hopefully with a good kicker. I call.

TURN: 4d.

No worries about the suits, my attention now turns to how to extract the maximum. I decide to check, JayDubious bets all but $0.30. If he's got A4, I'm just going broke, so I shove, he calls:


Top pair, medium kicker, and pushing. LOVE IT!


I should send JayDubious a thank you card. In the BB, K4o, it's limped so I check.

FLOP: Kh 6h 4s.

I'm not getting fancy here, I'll bet out and hope someone has hit top pair to0. JayDubious, quite short-stacked here, shoves for a bit less than $2. And again, of course I call with two pair:



This is around a $50 run over the past week and a half at $0.05 / $0.10. No fancy plays necessary; no crazy plays; no hero calls / hero lay-downs... here's been my strategy, distilled:
- find a table where everyone has less than 2x's buy-in, with mid-sized average pots
- see cheap flops with a wide range of hands (my stats have me seeing approx. 30% of the flops)
- with at least one deepish-stack at the table (and especially if they're in the pot), don't fold any pocket pair preflop to any semi-standard raise
- be patient and wait for big hands or wait to connect in a big way

No comments: