Saturday, November 17, 2007

Another Aussie run:

Played in 3 of the Aussie free rolls this morning; busted out of one somewhere around 40 of 600+; busted out of the second one in 14th of 315, then made a deep run in the 3rd one.

Up until the final table, I had seen something like 16 flops, and 12 rivers, winning 10 of the rivers that I saw. And almost all winning hands on the river were all-ins. Even by the end of the tournament, I had seen only 18% of the flops. I played premium hands, and just a few speculative hands (and released them to any action if they didn't hit big or hit a big draw).

It's amazing what people will call you with. This one I got raised all-in on the flop:


Top pair / weak kicker. I raised preflop, too.

This hand was great: I pushed all-in preflop from the BB after 4 limpers; all but one of the limpers called me, and I got a MASSIVE chip stack:

How, I wonder, do you think K3o is good here? JJ I kind of understand (kind of), but K3o? And K10s after a push all in and 2 callers? Wow.

Here's another flopped set that I got raised all-in on the flop:


Top pair / crap kicker - I dunno. I mean, I know it's a free roll, but I guess people don't understand that if you actually play well you stand a better chance of winning the damn thing. Relying on luck will only get you so far.

On that same note, though, you just have to get lucky at least once in a tournament to take it down. I had barely played any hands, and had seen TrackStar488 raise preflop with A6o, 22; I saw him push with 88, so I'm thinking there's a damn good chance I'm ahead here. Since I hadn't played many hands at this table, I thought a tight image would get an "OK" hand to fold for his tourney life. I pushed after his raise, and he insta-called:


I had already typed "nh / gl ev1" in the chat...THEN the turn came. WOOOOO! I then revised my comment to "I mean...gg :)" That sent him spewing obscenities. Oh, well. One suck out is pretty good at this point.

Final table, I'm 3rd in chips. I push preflop after a very aggressive raiser put in a raise & it folded to me in the BB. A9s is no monster, but against his probable range I thought I was ahead, and I had enough fold-equity that I thought without a monster he'd go away. Proverbial coin-flip that was all but over on the flop:

I don't know who makes this call with 22 here. Oh, well - doubled me up.

I'm realizing now that I was behind more than I thought: that hand, and the next one were pretty much coin flops preflop. The one above I pushed; the next one I limped on the button and called the sb's shove. I can't tell you why, I just didn't think he had a big hand, and thought I may be in the lead, or another coin flip (at worst). That's what it turned out to be:

This catapulted me to the chip lead with 4 left.

We got down to 3-way, I was short-stacked due to a lost coin-flip (had to happen sooner or later). My M was at around 4 or 5, which meant I had one of two moves: push, or fold. Finding K3s in the SB, when the button folds, I wanted to just take the blinds and move on, so - I shove. He can't call there without a real hand, I'm assuming. Who'd have known he woke up to a real hand:

Oh, well - gg me. Bad timing. Chances of him waking up to aces there? I dunno... guess I could have folded and waited 'till my button, but I was getting so low on chips I figured chances were he wouldn't have a calling hand there.

No comments: