Monday, November 5, 2007

another short session

I'm still uninterested in tournament play; though I do have Wednesday slated for the Mookie, as long as work doesn't get crazy. I'd like to try to get to Australia.

I'm going to keep playing this short micro-limit sessions for a while, and when my roll hits a certain mark I'm moving to the next level. I'm astounded at times how soft the tiniest limit games at tilt are. Over last summer when I was playing I was getting clobbered in them; I think I wasn't playing well - or overcalling because it was "only 4 more dollars" - never mind that $4 was 40% of my stack. When I treat the game as if the money does mean something, then I play better. I've never had a huge online roll, so even the $10+ increase over my last two 20-30 minute sessions makes a difference.

When I looked at the tables, I found one with 8/9 seated, big stack was around $11, and a full 50% were seeing flops! Sounded like a juicy table that will cave to a little aggression.

I've gotten better at pricing value-bets I think. One hand I had the nuts, and one I had 2nd nuts, and was able to get my opponent to call 2 nice turn & river bets (both hands my bet was raised on the flop, so they did part of my work for me). Those may have been the only two hands that I won at showdown; all else were won with bets.

There was one guy who was trying to be the bully; I didn't let him. I can't remember the hand, but it was limped preflop, and I checked an innocuous hand from the BB. Flop came out paired, I fired 1/2 pot bet, folded to wannabe-bully who popped it to like $1.50; folds back to me and (this is only my 2nd orbit at the table) I want to make sure the table knows I'll put pressure on them if they pull shenanigans. I raised it to $5, which would put him all in....he folds. I should have shown my bluff.... or maybe not...

Wow, and I just found out my hand histories aren't being saved.... gotta go correct that.

Anyway, ended the session up 60% from my start... I played well, but against such weak opponents it's easy to get a false sense of security. I want to make my bankroll goal, then step back up a level and see how I do there. If I can play a similar style and be as fearless, I'll do well.

What it comes down to is basic: I'm playing more poker and playing less cards.

1 comment:

Riggstad said...

Dude, you're tagged... get after it

I don't know HTML so go to my page and read the rules..