Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Got my kicks with 66

$0.05 / $0.10 NL
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to gsw61515 [6c 6h]
UTG folds
gsw61515 calls $0.10 <- no raise from EP: want to encourage a multi-way pot to maximize set-mining value
player 1 folds
Player 2 folds
Player 3 calls $0.10
Player 4 folds
ToughLuck raises to $0.20 <- min-raise after 2 limpers? OK sure.
suitntie2000 calls $0.10
gsw61515 calls $0.10
Player 3 calls $0.10

*** FLOP *** [4d 6s 9d] <- MONEY!!
ToughLuck bets $0.20
Player 5 folds
gsw61515 calls $0.20 <- don't want to give away my strength
Player 3 folds

*** TURN *** [4d 6s 9d] [2c]
ToughLuck has 15 seconds left to act
ToughLuck bets $0.50
gsw61515 calls $0.50 <- keep betting for me, dude

*** RIVER *** [4d 6s 9d 2c] [Qh]
ToughLuck bets $1.50
gsw61515 raises to $3 <- bad raise on my part, but I didn't want to chase him away
ToughLuckhas 15 seconds left to act
ToughLuckraises to $4.50 <- hmmmm...
gsw61515 calls $1.50 <- paranoia: did he have QQ?
*** SHOW DOWN ***
ToughLuck shows [Ks Kh] a pair of Kings
gsw61515 shows [6c 6h] three of a kind, Sixes
gsw61515 wins the pot ($10.10) with three of a kind, Sixes
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $11.20 | Rake $1.10
Board: [4d 6s 9d 2c Qh]
Seat 1: gsw61515 showed [6c 6h] and won ($10.10) with three of a kind, Sixes
Seat 7: ToughLuck(small blind) showed [Ks Kh] and lost with a pair of Kings


Yes, I missed out on some money on this hand. My call on the river is the only time in months and months and months where I suddenly worried about set over set. I thought he could possibly have QQ. I figured calling here would be the safest play: it was a decent sized pot as it was.

I need to work on extracting more value on my monster hands. I tried a little trapping tonight, which allowed me to get a little more value on a couple hands.

Here was a hard call:

I was pretty sure I was ahead, but he was betting all the way, and made a decent-size bet on the river. I worried that he had the case 5, or spiked a K. It was my own fault: after 2 limpers and the sb, I checked my option pre-flop. I had no way of putting anyone on any hand. I check / called on each street.

There were other interesting hands: my soooted AJ hits 2 pair on the flop and looses to flopped Broadway. My Q9 felted an opponent holding KK when I flopped top 2. Somehow my KK held up on a paired, ace-high board. With KK from the SB that I popped to $0.50 after 2 limpers, I felted my opponent holding KQo when they flopped top pair (Q)....

2 tables, ~ 200 hands; averaged seeing 34% of the flops; ended up 1 buy-in total. Yea, I know: if I'd seen less flops I'd have earned more. I've been purposely trying to see tons of flops to help my flop & turn play: I can play big hands (of course), but medium-strength hands, or hands like suited-gappers I'm not quite as confident playing. Well, I'm much more confident now than I was, say, a month ago.

Next to work on:
- extracting more value from my big hands (or my hands that connect in a big way, I should say)
- narrowing my hand selection, and playing the hands I choose more aggressively: less limping and more preflop raising. Though this may not work at .05/.10: often a raise will win the hand preflop - players there (including me!) like seeing cheap flops.

No comments: