Monday, February 25, 2008

In the previous post, I had KK UTG, called by the button. Flop bet was called, turn bet was called.



3 diamonds, and a paired board. I'm moderately worried about the flush. I can't imagine him calling the flop with only 2 diamonds: Ad 10d is possible. So is 6s 8s, for a straight; so is 6d 8d, turning the straight and rivering the flush. I guess 67 or 78 are possible, too, but also less likely hands: that'd be a tougher call on the flop and the turn, unless he pegged me for only AK or AQ.

When do I start getting worried about this hand? How do I figure out that I'm behind.

While I think I'm ahead, I do feel a little vulnerable, so I go into passive mode. If he puts me on AK and he's got a pair, he may think he's good. If I lead out, he may raise, putting me to a harder decision: with just one pair, I'm not interested in putting my stack in the middle. I don't really want to bet more than pot on this. If he was a habitual min-raiser, I may think about betting 1/2 pot, knowing any raise will bring it to a pot-size bet. But he's a good bettor. So I need a plan.

If I check and he:
- bets pot, I can call
- makes a min-bet (sounds silly, I know, betting $0.10 into a $4 pot, but I've even seen fuel55 bet $10 OOP into a $200 pot...not that that means much of anything, but some consider him an OK player), I can raise - probably to 1/2 pot or so (if he's got TPTK he'll call)
- overbets, I can fold. Overbetting for value is becoming more and more popular amongst good players. I won't stack off here with one pair

If I bet 1/2 pot and he:
- shoves, I have to fold
- raises more than pot, I have to fold
- min-raises, I have to call

If I bet pot and he:
- raises any, I have to fold


I think check/calling up to a pot-size bet here is correct: I have K's, but it is only one pair on a board with flush and straight possibilities. I'd love to know your opinions here (and your opinions on the posibilities listed above).

*** RIVER *** [7s 5s Td 9d] [7d] (pot ~$4.75)
gsw61515 checks
PKTaceSuited bets $2.50
gsw61515 has 15 seconds left to act
gsw61515 has requested TIME
gsw61515 calls $2.50

*** SHOW DOWN ***
PKTaceSuited shows [Js Qs] a pair of Sevens
gsw61515 shows [Ks Kd] two pair, Kings and Sevens
gsw61515 wins the pot ($8.90) with two pair, Kings and Sevens

I won a good-size pot while risking no more than I needed to. Leading out here, I would only have gotten either a fold if he had nothing, or a decision for the rest of my chips if he shoved, something I don't think would have been prudent to call. If he turned out to have the straight or the back door flush, then I believe I'd have lost the bare minimum with this.

--------------------------

Why, then, did I bother posting this? A couple reasons:
1. I had a difficult decision deciding how to handle the turn, and the river. Analyzing after the fact helps me with similar future situations
2. To see if I missed anything somewhere: a read, a clue to what my opponent is holding, etc
3. To take a look at my betting: did I miss a bet anywhere (unlikely on this hand of course), did I give away anything with my betting, could I have saved chips (not in this situation of course)
4. To see if any of the 3.2 people who read this blog have any different ideas as to how to play the hand: was this a hard decision, or do you just insta-call? Do you lead the river and insta-call a raise/shove?

Also, goes to show that KK isn't always an easy hand to play. KK out of position can be dangerous, and if unimproved by the river, you should remember that the average winning hold 'em hand is two pair.

1 comment:

Riggstad said...

I think the call on the flop and the turn has to scream draw...

The point is which draw. str8 or flush?

the turn brings another interesting question...

Is it spades or diamonds now?

AS i stated before, any str8 flush draw, I think he slams your flop bet. I don't knkow how he didn't with his holdings. A pot size reraise would have scared me a little and set me up for the turn. (I would def call it being there no chance of a made str8 or flush)

The call call tells me you have to call any bet he makes on the river. It was a classic case of missing his draw. But the river brings the paired board and the 3 diamonds and the str8 fill...


I don't know that there is any other way to play this given the fact that he called called. and his bet on the river is certainly and auto call...

nice hand