Sunday, February 10, 2008

Hand Analysis

I'm going to break this down into a couple posts. Let me know what you think of my play and my thinking here. I've played against the opponent quite a bit, so I'm fairly familiar with his play.
-------------------------

Seat 3: gsw61515 ($13.75)
Seat 9: PKTaceSuited ($7.40)

*** HOLE CARDS ***
gsw61515 raises to $0.35 with [Ks Kd] from UTG
PKTaceSuited calls $0.35 from the button


Standard button call I'd say, possibly suited connectors, possibly any pair, perhaps AK or AQ (though with AK, AQ, and QQ+ he'd be re-raising 99% of the time).



*** FLOP *** [7s 5s Td] (pot ~$0.85)
gsw61515 bets $0.60
PKTaceSuited calls $0.60

I'm OOP with a big pair, against a good button player. From my experience with him, he will raise here if he has a set, especially with two spades out there. He's capable of calling preflop with suited connectors or small or medium pair. Preflop: 55, 77, or 10 10 are possible; 57 is moderately possible but more unlikely; 7 10 and 5 10 are NOT in his range.

With his smooth-call here, I have to put him on a spade draw. 89 is possible, but if it were it would more likely than not be 8s 9s. If another spade comes I must tread carefully. The good news is I have the Ks, so AsKs is not possible (again, this would be a preflop re-raising hand for him anyway, so AK and AQ are out of the question: if an ace hits I'm not going to be too worried).

Did I bet enough? If he's committed to a showdown with a spade draw, I think I gave him good odds to call here; if he's chasing just to the turn though I didn't give him great odds, but it's close. 2/3 pot and he's got at best 14 outs: it's close I think.

Am I missing something, or does this smell like a spade draw?

-----------------------------------



*** TURN *** [7s 5s Td] [9d] (pot ~$2.05)
gsw61515 bets $1.40
PKTaceSuited calls $1.40

Again with the smooth call. Two diamonds and two spades now. It'd be unlikely he called with a diamond draw, unless it was something highly unlikely like 6d 8d. If he's there (or 6s 8s) then he just took the lead.

I made another roughly 2/3 pot bet, which I know is a bad price to chase a pure flush draw, but if he's got a straight draw to boot, he's chasing 14 outs: is 2/3 pot on the turn giving good odds here? I'm horrible with the minutia of the math here...

Do I start to worry about the monster under the bed at this point? Do I start to include 6s 8s in this range? I think I still have to stick with 8s 9s as his most likely holding. Any other 2 spades is also possible; however calling my flop bet with a pure spade draw is unlikely.

Am I giving this guy way too much credit? Do I need to not worry about this and just bang away with KK to extract maximum value?

------------------------

1 comment:

Riggstad said...

I can't really give an opinion I feel really good about here because I don't know the guy you are playing. But based off of whatlittle info you give of him, he seems like a cautious guy who has 1/4 of a brain... so I would guess that:

1) he cannot be on a set
2) he has 68 of spades or diamonds.. any other combo he would have to cruch that turn...
3) He might have an overpair
4) unless he just played any two random cards from the button, I mean who the hell knows