Sunday, February 3, 2008

Root cause

While it's true that I have been getting a bit cold-decked, I think I know the root of my downswing as of late: lack of patience. Add being card dead to that, and it can be a deadly combination. I started to play way too many speculative hands for way more than they were worth, just to try to "make something happen."

I tightened up a lot, and was much more careful about calling people down with 2nd or 3rd pair. I basically went back to playing a smaller variance brand of poker.

I also got some decent cards, too... a cooler or two of course, but that'll always happen.

I have AA in the SB. Folds around to me. Awesome, right? Well, I figure I might as well try to get an over-call preflop from the guy if he's got something decent. I raise 5x's the BB to $0.50. He instantly shoves for $9 & change:


I guess he was bound to go broke on that hand no matter what.

I didn't screen-cap this next one, so here's the reduced HH:

gsw61515, MP, $7.50
techcharlie, UTG, $9.35

techcharlie calls $0.10
gsw61515 raises to $0.45 with [Ks As]
(folds around)
techcharlie calls $0.35

FLOP: 8h Kh Kd
techcharlie has 15 seconds left to act
techcharlie checks
gsw61515 checks <-- set the trap

TURN:[8h Kh Kd] Ad
techcharlie bets $0.80 <-- took the bait!
gsw61515 calls $0.80

RIVER: [8h Kh Kd Ad] 7d
techcharlie checks
gsw61515 bets $4 <-- overbet for value
techcharlie INSTAcalls $4

gsw61515 shows [Ks As] a full house, Kings full of Aces
techcharlie shows [Qh Ac] two pair, Aces and Kings
gsw61515 wins the pot ($9.60) with a full house, Kings full of Aces


He called so fast I almost wondered if they had AA! I'm sorry, but definitely do NOT make that call there if I'm him. I doubt I lead the turn either, except perhaps as a potential block. But - come ON! - how do you call $4 on the river when the pot is $1.70 with that board?!


Last one was a cooler: first hand at a new table, 77 in the BB, I check my option. I pot bet the flop, SB check-called. SB Check-raised all-in on the turn, I was happy to call:


Ooops... didn't see the potential straight, was hoping to get value out of flush draws and TPTK / 2 pair type hands. Oh, well. I lost $8 on that hand, and moments later FTP released $7.50 bonus money, so it all evened out in the end :)

No comments: