Saturday, August 30, 2008

Should've stacked him

Tulalip $1/$3.

UTG - new player, won first three hands he's played (this is his 4th), $300
HERO (OTB): Playing tighter than usual, table is a little too crazy to play super-lag, $400

UTG raises to $10. Folds to me, and I call with 8d 8c. SB calls.

FLOP: Jh 2h Jd

SB checks. UTG bets $20. I just don't think he's on a jack, and I can represent a flush if a heart falls, so I call. SB folds. Pot: $70.

TURN: [Jh 2h Jd] 8s

Miracle card. UTG bets $40. I take a little time, and smooth-call. Pot: $150

RIVER: [Jh 2h Jd 8s] Qd

UTG: Checks. I take some time, and bet $125. UTG SNAP-calls. I turn over the boat, and he mucks.

Moral of the story: Raise the turn. If UTG really has a jack, he's going to call most any raise. If he doesn't, then he won't put any more money in on the river anyway. If I made a smallish raise to $100 on the turn, he'd likely have called anyway, then the pot would be the right size for me to stick the rest in on the river, which he likely would have called. He likely had AJ there.

I missed out on about $100 by getting fancy and slow-playing my boat. I almost never slow-play, so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

No comments: