Saturday, July 28, 2007

Rollin' rollin' rollin'....

I was privileged to play against both my favorite and my scariest types of opponents this evening: the perpetual bluffer, and the calling stations. Of the 6-handed table, we had 2 perpetual bluffers, and one calling station. One guy I had no way to get an idea about, as I busted him on the 3rd hand when I turned Broadway to his 2 pair (note to self: that's why it's a bad idea to play Q10o OOP), and I don't remember the other one.

Head's up started dead-even, and Villain caught some big cards, and picked off 2 of my bluffs with his bottom pair, and 2nd pair: I file these tendencies away and remember to bet my monsters in the same way.

This hand turned out to be the turning point of the match:


Seat 1: Villain (5,340)
Seat 5: HERO (3,660)
HERO posts the small blind of 80
Villain posts the big blind of 160
The button is in seat #5
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ad Ks]
HERO raises to 400
Villain calls 240

*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to HERO [Ad Ks]
HERO raises to 400
Villain calls 240
*** FLOP *** [4c 4s 4h]

Now, in the past boards like this have scared me; especially at a passive 5-to-the-flop STT, someone may very well have the 4. With only 2 people in, MUCH less likely. I still rate to have the best hand; he may have a pair, but I kinda don't think so (and no, his preflop call doesn't mean squat: he's called similar preflop raises with junk like 105o and taken a pot when he paired his 5):

Villain checks
HERO bets 800
Villain calls 800

Check/call: interesting. OK, he's probably got an ace, assuming a split pot. My guess is he would have raised with a pair in hand.

*** TURN *** [4c 4s 4h] [Qd]
Unless he has a Q, this is a good card for me: if He does have an ace, he's almost certainly thinking this is at worst for him a split pot, 444AQ.

Villain checks

Either he's slow-playing a 4 or a Q, or this is my pot. I don't think slow-playing is big in his play book, so I'm near positive I'm ahead. If he's got the 4, then so be it, and good for him.

HERO bets 2,460, and is all in
Villain calls 2,460
HERO shows [Ad Ks]
Villain shows [Ac 5c]
*** RIVER *** [4c 4s 4h Qd] [6c]
HERO shows three of a kind, Fours
Villain shows three of a kind, Fours
HERO wins the pot (7,320) with three of a kind, Fours

This puts the chip counts here:
Seat 1: Villain (1,680)
Seat 5: HERO (7,320)


That was a bit of an odd hand; with 3 of a kind on the board, the chance that he had the case 4 was low - which was probably the reason he was calling me down too. Some may think that was a crazy move pushing all-in without a pair, but by his betting I was rather sure I was ahead.

A few hands later, I got it all in on the turn when I had top pair / good kicker / 2nd nut flush draw - and he called with 72o that paired his 7 on the flop (he had, btw, called a large preflop raise with this too). I love it!

No comments: