Wednesday, January 16, 2008

1st in 11 days

First winning session in 11 days. Some big pots, too:

Called a min-raise preflop with 44 in the BB. SB leads out min-betting the flop, I pop to $0.50, called by LP. Turn was a blank, I bet, LP1 shoved, LP2 shoved, I called:



Had to call another min-raise with J10o in the SB. This isn't the best hand to play OOP by any means, but for an extra bet I'll see a flop 4-way. I lead out 1/2 pot bet on the flop with my OESD, button min-raises (I was expecting any raise to be a min-raise: I lead out with 1/2 pot so any raise would make what would have been pot-sized, which is fine for an OESD on the flop). Turn gives me the nuts, I bet and get 1 caller; I shove the river and get called:




Lucked out on this hand: I call a min-raise from the BB with J7s. Yes, yes, no powerhouse, but the table is so passive post-flop that if I hit and bet, I'm probably good. 5-way made it too hard to throw away anything for one BB. I call a $0.20 bet from the SB, one caller comes along. On the turn, SB checks, I bet $0.30 (trying to control the pot size from OOP); LP raises to $1.00. I make a loose call here: their flop, turn, and river agression is infinite over 500+ hands, so the raise doesn't necessarily mean anything. Turns out I rivered him, and bet enough to put him all in:




Felt good to get a winning session again. I'm sure 11 days without a winning session isn't too bad; and I don't know how many buy ins is a big loss, but I was down $150 in those 11 days, which felt like a lot, especially since I worked for 2+ months building the roll. Granted it's still healthy, still way above where I started back in Oct/Nov, so I'm happy. It's an inevitable part of the game, I know, and I was lucky to have such a long run of mostly profitable sessions. It's good for me to be reminded of the variance inherent in the game.

No comments: