Wednesday, January 9, 2008

A little luck never hurts

The almighty JackAce. Limp/called min-raise from LP. UTG bet pot on the flop, I re-potted it; LP writes "set?" and then mucks. I type "just raise so I can muck," the guy shoves, and I call:

Turns out my shove was a great idea: the LP raiser (who typed "set?) claimed he had AJ as well. My shove avoided a split pot.


Next one is self-explanatory - kind of. A number of limpers preflop, and SB pops it to $0.50. I min-raise to $0.90. He pot-raises; I pot raise (kind of felt like Euro-Rounders, but it worked), he finally shoves, and (of course), I call:

I'm not sure if I continue to raise pre if I'm him: at some point with QQ I think I'd just call and see a flop.


Last one was a bit of a gambool: I raised pre from the CO with 6d7d, button reraises, I smooth call. The flop gives me a flush draw, and unless he has an overpair I'm in good shape. He raises my flop bet, I shove, he INSTAcalls:


Thankfully I didn't have to wait long for the flush, but OMG runner-runner straight frackin' flush!!

Yea, I know, shoving with a 7-high flush draw may not be +EV. Like I mentioned yesterday most all of my mistakes of late have been from being too aggressive. I think this is the first time in a long, long time where my game is at a turning point. I was a smart player, then I became a decent player, and I'm at the point where I'm moving away from "decent" and towards "good." I'd be surprised if I didn't screw up some during this time.

Most every transition is uncomfortable, and I'm sure to stumble some more while I grow. But it'll be worth it in the end.

No comments: