Monday, January 7, 2008

Movin' on down...

After horrendous results this weekend (horrendous as in being down $100), I have to step back down to $0.05/$0.10. The vast majority of my losses were a result of too much aggression (which, for me, is a good thing (in a way) as I had become a little too passive at .05/.10).

The biggest one I remember is raising my opponent all-in on a KQx flop when I held pocket tens. He led out OOP with a larger than pot-size bet; I raised to put him all-in. I've seen so many over-raises with draws from so many players that I was convinced he had J10. Turned out he had AA, but he took quite a while to call -- afterwards he said he thought maybe I had KQ. I know this was a dangerous raise; I also don't know whether I would have made the same raise if our stacks were deeper. As it stood I only lost ~$12 on that hand.

I also suffered a bunch of out-draws, especially yesterday. A while back I had sworn off playing on Sundays as I felt like I got outdrawn an unfair amount; however logically I can't believe this would be the case so I've plowed through it... I may heed that thought again, as even if it's untrue I think I'm more prone to tilt on Sundays due to this nagging thought in the back of my brain.

I again lost in a set-over-set deal, this time with 77 on an A-7-10 flop. The 3-way pot got all in on this flop, where my set of 7's was up against a set of ten's and AK. Set over set statistically happens ~2/100 times; I can recall, in the past 60 or so days, losing at least 5 set-over-set's, and winning 1. I have played well over 1,000 hands in that time, though (don't know the exact number off the top of my head, but it's multiple thousands), so while it seems unlikely, statistically it's right in line. Totally sucks when it happens.

Down 4 buy ins over 2 days play... if my roll had been healthier to start I'd be able to stay up there; as it stands I started playing $0.10/$0.25 on the lighter side anyway, so the most prudent move is to head back down.

I played down there last night, and while the play at .10/.25 is far from brilliant, the play at .05/.10 is amazingly horrible. Best example (and unfortunately I couldn't be a part) is when UTG shoves all-in for ~$5 (mind you, there is fifteen cents in the pot prior to this!!!). What two hands call him? 9-10 soooted, and KQo!!! And the best part: guess what UTG was holding? 8-6o!!!

Gotta love shoving a half-a-buy-in to try to collect fifteen cents in blinds! Key to these tables is to not get too fancy too often, and for me - play over 2-3 tables and wait for mostly premiums and position plays.

Back to the basics...

No comments: