Sunday, January 20, 2008

OBFV

After reading a couple recent posts by fuel55, I decided to try some overbetting for value when I'm super strong or holding the stones. I feel like I'd gotten pretty good online at value betting on the river, but in just a couple hands this past weekend where my overbets were called probably earned me as much as my "standard" value-bets would over the course of a week.

I haven't gone totally nuts and shoved when the pot is only a couple bucks, but I'll easily bet $4 into a $1 pot.

CASE IN POINT:

I'm UTG with 89o. I limp (shut up, I hear you laughing; some of these tables are very limp friendly and I will take advantage of that with a wide range of hands). Folds to SB who pops it to $0.30; BB folds, I call (position, connectors, yada yada).

FLOP:
Ah 9h 8c

SB fires $0.65, I call with bottom 2 pair.

TURN:
[Ah 9h 8c] 9d

I quickly enable the "check" checkbox (I've been doing this when very strong, as the insta-check often is read as weaknes, or a draw), so when the SB checks, so do I.

River:
[Ah 9h 8c 9d] Kh

God how I hope they were on a flush draw!

SB checks; I fire $4 into the $1.80 pot, and get instacalled:




Here's one where I either played great, I played recklessly, or I missed a bet on the river:

WhereAreMyChips calls $0.10
Poker464 calls $0.10
PACIFICPOWER calls $0.10
gsw61515 calls $0.10 with [Tc 9c]
tlopirt sukram calls $0.10
chamchum checks

*** FLOP *** [Jc 9d Th]
chamchum checks
WhereAreMyChips checks
Poker464 checks
PACIFICPOWER bets $0.40
gsw61515 raises to $0.80 <-- 2 pair is vulnerable, I'll try to protect a little
tlopirt sukram folds
chamchum folds
WhereAreMyChips folds
Poker464 folds
PACIFICPOWER calls $0.40

*** TURN *** [Jc 9d Th] [8s]
PACIFICPOWER checks
gsw61515 has 15 seconds left to act
gsw61515 bets $1.50
PACIFICPOWER calls $1.50
This call worried me. Any 7 or any Q kills me. I will proceed with caution.

*** RIVER *** [Jc 9d Th 8s] [4c]
PACIFICPOWER checks
gsw61515 checks <-- can't risk getting check-raised with a straight

*** SHOW DOWN ***
gsw61515 shows [Tc 9c] two pair, Tens and Nines
PACIFICPOWER mucks [Ac Ts] <-- top pair no good!
gsw61515 wins the pot ($4.75) with two pair, Tens and Nines

No comments: