Thursday, December 13, 2007

poker + sedation = -EV

I had some major dental work done this morning, enough so that I was sedated for the whole thing. I have very vague memories of my time there (about 2 seconds worth), and NOW know that even after my girlfriend drove me back to my place and I snoozed for a bit, I was still under the influence of said sedative for some time.

But of course, when my girlfriend left for an appointment, I felt good, awake, and very relaxed -- perfect time for some poker, right?

Uh - no. While due to immense donkishness at one of my tables left me with triple my buy in, I still finished the 300+ hand session down a half a buy in. Normal variance, possibly, but I just called way too many bets with marginal holdings (calling an all-in with 3rd pair / top kicker, for example!). I did, however, win many more hands than normal by just raising - won tons of hands preflop with air and a 3-3.5x's BB raise, won a ton more c-betting after said raise.

Example "A" is the former, "B" the latter.

Example A:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
LP1 calls $0.10
gsw61515 calls $0.10 with [8c Ac] <-- I'll float a soooted ace at limp-friendly tables
fold,fold,fold
Villain calls $0.05
BB checks

*** FLOP *** [Ad Th 9c]
Villain bets $0.40
BB folds
LP1 folds
gsw61515 calls $0.40 <-- top pair, OK kicker, not going away yet

*** TURN *** [Ad Th 9c] [8d]
Villain has 15 seconds left to act
Villain bets $0.80
gsw61515 has 15 seconds left to act
gsw61515 raises to $2.30 <--- 2 pair probably good
Villain raises to $4.70, and is all in <-- aw, crap - straight?
gsw61515 calls $2.40
Villain shows [Jc Qh] <-- yep
gsw61515 shows [8c Ac]

*** RIVER *** [Ad Th 9c 8d] [7c]
Villain shows a straight, Queen high
gsw61515 shows two pair, Aces and Eights
Villain wins the pot ($9.55) with a straight, Queen high

I'm not totally convinced this was a bad play. I've seen so many folks push all-in on a straight or flush draw here that this call is right often enough for it to be +EV. Either that, or I'm just trying to convince myself I wasn't a total 'tard.



Example B:
This was one example of the plethora of hands I won with air (or near air) by combating weakness with aggressiveness:

*** HOLE CARDS ***
UTG folds
UTG+1 raises to $0.20
MP calls $0.20
fold, fold
gsw61515 calls $0.20 with [8s As] <-- another sooted ace float
SB folds
BB folds

*** FLOP *** [7c Qc 8h]
UTG+1 bets $0.10 <-- min-bet = WEAK blocking bet
MP calls $0.10
gsw61515 raises to $0.45 <-- no one really likes their hand yet, I'll just take this now thanks
UTG+1 has 15 seconds left to act
UTG+1 folds
MP has 15 seconds left to act
MP folds
Uncalled bet of $0.35 returned to gsw61515
gsw61515 mucks
gsw61515 wins the pot ($0.95)


The min-raise pre, the min-bet on the flop, the smooth call on the flop: while they could be getting tricky, it's not likely. If they are, they'll call my raise or re-raise, then I can either give-up, get away, or get lucky. As it stands, though, These could be hands like KJ, 33, AK, AnySootedAce. Raise here, and take the pot.

Next time I'm sedated after dental work, I'll try to skip the impulse to play the cash tables. That, perhaps, would've been an excellent time to get in on a $2.25 SNG.

No comments: