Thursday, December 20, 2007

Runnin' Good again

The nickle/dime games are good practice for me to play loose. I know I play too loose too often in those games; however it's good practice as to how to bet at pots with air and win hands with aggression.

The dime/quarter game I actually take a touch more seriously. Due to a couple good nights at these tables, I tried 2-tabling them tonight, too. I play a LOT tighter at this level than at .05/.10. That tightness almost got me to fold a winning hand.

I picked up the mighty mighty JackAce in the CO-1. I pot-raised to $0.85, CO re-raises to $2.50. Sort of a big re-raise that smelled fishy. I called. Yes, shut up, I called $1.65 more with the JackAce.

Flop: 7d 3h 6s
I bet $3, he calls.

OK, I'm thinking may JJ or QQ?

Turn: Ad

Here's where the JackAce can bite ya in the ass: I wasn't sure this was a good card for me. If I was facing AQ AK I'm toast. His call on the flop led me to believe he had a pair already: no flush draw out there, I guess he could have a straight draw (or already there with 45). Still, I'm leaning towards JJ.

I bet $6, he shoves, and has me covered. All in for another $15 or so to call. I no longer love my hand. With 2 diamonds out there, though, he could be on a pure flush draw - maybe KQd? I just can't let go of this hand, so I call:


Well played by my opponent, as he probably put me on a hand just like I had. Though it seems most players at this level Ace-Anything here they'd have insta-called in my shoes. I wasn't quite as confident, but went with it. I wonder if my less-than-pot bet on the turn made him not think I had an ace?

I almost never pot-bet; I typically bet 1/2 to 3/4 of the pot, every now and again overbetting for value. But I wonder if this effects what hands people think I have.

My roll is over 4 buy-ins over where I wanted it to be when I started $0.10/$0.25. I like the competition there. I feel like I'm playing really well.

No comments: